The beets have me beat

From Food

I've been sucked into the world of the Olympics. I have suddenly developed an interest in all sports on ice, snow, and little bumps called "moguls."

As such, my posts have fallen behind.

I finally decided to try a new beet recipe (we're talking several weeks ago now.) I had already tried making a beet salad; I moved to a pureed beet soup; neither were satisfying to the palette (well, *my* palette.) My friend Jenn suggested a beet cake. Why not? Carrot cake sure is delicious!

I decided to try and increase the chances of success with a recipe that included a cream cheese icing. Things that I learned while making this recipe:

1. Grating beets by hand is ridiculous. Use a food processor, but take pictures with the hand grater because it's prettier.
2. Don't leave any important mail on the countertop. The beets will fall on it. Your mail will turn pink.
3. Grated beets look like worms.
4. The cake will first look magenta -- it then bakes to an auburn.
5. Beet cake smells like horse feed (thanks, Susan.)
6. Beet cake tastes better with cream cheese icing.
7. This recipe does not make me love beets.

From Food

From Food

From Food

It looks like the beets have me beat. But as I mentioned before, my posts are very behind (although I am now an expert judge in moguls: keep those knees together!) I have recently discovered my first use of beets that I can safely say is delicious... stay tuned...

wubecca –   – (February 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM)  

i LURV carrot cake!!

Jennifer Anne  – (February 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM)  

You need to make the CHOCOLATE beat cake. With the pink icing...

I miss you and I missed your blog. I'm glad you're back.

Kelly  – (February 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM)  

You're right, Jenn. I should have done the chocolate recipe. The reason I didn't is because it calls for one beet. ONE. I had 15. I'll make sure to save some beets from the last CSA box to make this cake. It definitely deserves a shot at winning me over.

Elisabeth  – (April 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM)  

Kelly: I've been meaning to post this for you for some time. Ricardo did a beet cake on Food Network, I have the recipe in his Weekend Cooking cookbook. Here's a variant. I figure it can't lose because you serve it with mascarpone cheese.
Let us know if you try it...!
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Dessert/Eggs-Dairy/recipe.html?dishID=9325

Elisabeth  – (April 10, 2010 at 1:14 PM)  

Kelly: I just checked the recipe in his Weekend Cooking cookbook and it's very different...more interesting actually. More spices, nuts and fruits. If you can't get your hands on a copy, give me a shout.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP