A quilted concerto

I play the piano. Not as well as I used to, but I still manage a song every now and then.

One early November morning, on the opening day of the 7th Harry Potter movie, I hammered out a butchered, although recognizable, version of Harry's Wondrous World on the piano.

I was rusty. I was half asleep (it was 6:30am). But I had a huge grin on my face because I knew I was waking Dustin up with a rush of excitement at the thought of watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows later that night. Nothing sends a chill through your body like hearing a faint melody of awesomeness, although riddled with mistakes.

I have my mother to thank. I was never great at the piano. I lacked skill, and discipline. I lacked the ability to keep my finger nails short. But I still love the piano. My mother is a beautiful pianist. Her love of the piano encouraged me to practice, and although she probably doesn't know who Harry Potter is, I hope that story made her proud.

I thought it would be appropriate to sew her a quilt inspired by the concert piano. I love the colours of a piano concert hall: red velvet chairs, a jet black piano, a shimmery chandelier, deep brown walls. This picture even has a punch of tangerine in the flooring (I found the picture on the internet but there was not credit! Thank you Anonymous Piano Artist).



This week I will be in Ottawa babysitting my nephew, Max. My sister and brother-in-law are enjoying a well deserved vacation in Florida. Between diaper changes, I hope to be working on a double wedding ring quilt for my parents.

The double wedding ring pattern is a classic, and looks truly, truly gorgeous. Here are some of my faves (all from a class at the workroom):


Julie S' Double Wedding Ring

Nancy's Double Wedding Ring quilt

Katherine's Double Wedding Ring Quilt

The colours I chose were pulled from the piano concert hall picture. The border fabric is a light brown, with small leaves of red and dark browns. The rings will be made up of some black fabrics, dark browns, reds, shimmery gold, and a punch of tangerine. You like?






Mrs. Niles –   – (February 17, 2011 at 7:00 AM)  

I definitely like! My mother in law made us a double wedding ring pattern quilt for our wedding (or I should say, she is making it as we haven't had the pleasure of receiving it yet). It's got maroon, grey and cream. Very simple, but I can't wait to see it!!!

OneCraftyFox  – (February 21, 2011 at 10:31 AM)  

I had no idea you and your mom played piano!! Have an amazing weekend with your nephew playing *house* :)

Hugs!! Diana

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP